Wednesday, December 23, 2009

bcs playoff

So I think absolutely everyone in America who is not a president or AD of BCS conference university is in agreement that college football needs a playoff system to determine the national champion. If this doesn't happen within the next 10 years, I am seriously going to start raising capital for my ultimate dream: a professional football league that allows participants to enter as soon as they are 18 years old. I don't care if they dropped out of high school, if they can make plays I'll sign them. "Fuck college football," I'd tell recruits. "You can get just as many girls and get paid while doing it in the BFL (Bro's Football League)." I wouldn't have any of those annoying player personal conduct rules either. If you're not in jail, or prevented from travelling out of state because of parole, then you can suit up. I feel like this is a can't fail. Who wouldn't want to watch these thugs ball and what recruit would choose psych class over getting paid thousands if not millions? Time to start raising money.

But if the BCS does decide to go with a playoff system, I'll probably hold off just because college football may become better than the NFL at that point. Here is my recommendation for just such a playoff. First, I would require 16 teams. The bids would be given as follows:

- 6 automatic qualifiers fro winning one of the BCS conferences
- Automatic bid to any undefeated team
- Automatic bid to any team in the top 12 of the BCS rankings
- The remaining bids (if any) would be chosen by a selection committee
- The seeding would also be determined by the selection committee

So this year, if I acted as the selection committee, the seeding would be as follows:

1) Alabama
2) Texas
3) TCU
4) Cincinnati
5) Florida
6) Boise State
7) Ohio State
8) Oregon
9) Georgia Tech
10) Iowa
11) Penn State
12) LSU
13) BYU
14) Virginia Tech
15) Miami
16) Pitt

Using the espn playoff simulator, the tournament would proceed as follows:


(click for a larger image).

Penn State was very respectable, making it to the final four, but congratulations to 2010 NCAA football champions, The GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS!

No comments:

Post a Comment