Friday, March 6, 2009

A few NFL Notes

HAHAHAHAHA. T.O. was finally released by the Cowboys. Congratulations Cowboy fans, T.O. managed to do even less for you than he did for the Eagles! And he ended up playing more games for you than he did for us. At least the Eagles were a good enough team that when we did have T.O. we went to the Super Bowl. He didn't even get you guys a playoff win. What is it now, 14 years and counting? Well, look on the bright side Cowboys fans, at least T.O. will only count for $9 million of your cap space next season!

In other free agent news, the Eagles signed ex-Cleveland Browns safety Sean Jones to a one year deal. I don't know a whole lot about Jones, although his stats look pretty impressive, and a couple of blogs I read have raved about his playmaking ability. I do want to see if he can play free safety because he played most strong safety with Cleveland, although he has stated that he would prefer a move to free safety. I do think that moving Quentin Mikell to free safety and leaving Jones at strong safety is an option. Mikell was originally Brian Dawkins' back-up at free safety until he became the starter last season at strong safety, where he was extremely successful. I would like the Eagles to add depth in the secondary on draft day though. Regardless, I think Jones is an excellent pick up for the Eagles. I give the move a B+, mainly because I would have like to see a two or three year deal.

The Eagles also traded Greg Lewis to New England and a seventh round pick next year for a fifth this year. All I have to say is good riddance. Every year after training camp when I see the final 53 man roster I always thought, "Why is Greg Lewis still on the roster?" I would have been fine just cutting him.

Lastly, although it isn't NFL news, I want to give mad props to the Penn State mens basketball team. Last night's exciting, come-from-behind 64-63 win against Illinois probably sealed the Nittany Lions' ticket to the big dance. With a 21-9 record and only Iowa left on the regular season schedule, PSU is now projected to be an 11-seed by Joe Lunardi of espn.com. Taylor Battle is the Big Ten player of the year, and with a little help, from Michigan State this weekend, PSU could still get the number 2-seed in the Big Ten tourny. I can't wait for the madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment