Monday, March 2, 2009

Sad, sad day

Well it finally happened. On Friday, February 27, 2009 the Philadelphia Eagles crushed my hopes and dreams forever. Brian Dawkins will never win a super bowl with the Eagles. He signed a free agent contract with the Denver Broncos. As much as I would love the Eagles to win the super bowl, it just won't be the same without B-Dawk. For almost a decade he has been a Philadelphia icon and the heart and soul of this team. I can't say enough about this. I was truly devastated when I heard the news. Now I know that Dawk's skills have been in decline for a few years now, but he is coming off a pro bowl season, and if I had to guess, i would bet the #20 jersey is at the top of the list of best sold jersey in philly. Because this signing occurred on the first day of free agent signings, this decision had to have been made a few weeks ago. Joe Banner and Andy Reid must have made it known to Dawkins that he was no longer going to be an Eagle, closing the door on an era. Now I understand that teams have to move on sometimes, but I just don't think this was the right time. Maybe that's just me fooling myself because I always wanted Dawkins to play every snap of his career as an Eagle, but I think Dawkins has a good year or two left in him, and I think he would have taken a one or two year deal with the Eagles over the five year deal he signed with the Broncos.

We'll see what the Eagles do to address the free safety position now because Quentin Demps is not the answer. For now, I would like to address what I think the Eagles should do in the draft in April. First, one qualification: it is still only March 2nd, and I reserve the right to change my mind before the end of April. Now the Eagles just signed Stacey Andrews as a free agent, so the hole at left tackle created by Jon Runyan's departure has been addressed. I just want to go out on record and say I liked the signing, and I think having the Andrews brothers on the right side of the line will be good for both of them, especially Shawn's head. Will someone please come up with a good nickname for the Andrews brothers? I think they are gonna be a force and need a bad ass nickname. Also, I think the Stacey Andrews signing allows the Eagles some flexibility with respect to their o-line. Although I wouldn't be against drafting a left tackle with one of the Eagles first day picks, I no longer think it is necessary. If I had to guess, I think the Eagles starting o-line in week 1 will be:

LT Todd Herremans
LG Max Jean-Giles
C Jamaal Jackson
RG Shawn Andrews
RT Stacey Andrews

I am fine with this starting lineup, and there is still a strong possibility that the Eagles will re-sign William Thomas, which would sure up the line for sure.

The first glaring hole on the Eagles roster is at free safety. Losing Dawkins was a big blow, and unfortunately the best safety prospect, and the player I would literally give up a finger for in order to get him into an Eagles uniform, Southern Cal Safety Taylor Mays, decided that he hated money and stayed in school. Unfortunately I am not enamoured with any of the other safeties in the draft. I do think the Eagles have one very appealing option though. Ohio State CB Malcolm Jenkins failed to run a sub-4.5 40 at the combine, leading many to question whether he would be able to play corner in the NFL. This is great news for the Eagles. Despite the trade of Lito Sheppard, the Eagles are still set at corner, but need a safety. I think that although Jenkins may not fall to the Eagles at 21, he will probably be on the board in the late teens. I would love for the eagles to trade the number 21 pick and the fifth they picked up for Lito to move up three or four spots to draft Jenkins. I think he has great football skill and his speed won't be as much of an issue at safety.

The second player I want the Eagles to take in the first round is another Ohio State player. RB Beanie Wells is a beast, and I have been saying for over a year that I think he has all the skills to be a great NFL back. He would provide a much needed power runner to compliment Brian Westbrook, and I don't think his speed is as bad as everyone thinks. Although he's not gonna run away from anyone, he does have good burst and will be an excellent between the tackles back.

Although I would also like the Eagles to address the TE position (possibly with South Carolina TE Jared Cook), I don't have time to comment right now because class is over. New post tomorrow.

1 comment: