Monday, April 13, 2009

another sad day

I have recently heard the sad news that Harry Kalas, THE voice of the Phillies since 1971, has died today.  I am in shock.  I have been following the Phils for as long as I can remember, and whether I was watching them on TV or listening to them on the radio, Harry was always there to bring me the play-by-play in his perfect baritone voice.  No one ever had a bad thing to say about Harry, and his easy going, down-to-earth personality and demeanor made me feel good just listening to him, without ever actually meeting the man.  I just want to wish his family the best, and Harry you won't be forgotten.  Although it is rather bittersweet, I do feel good that Harry got to see and broadcast a second world championship for the Phils in his final full season.  Harry, you will be missed.




1 comment:

  1. Apparently, last year was the first Phillies Championship he broadcast because of the broadcasting contract in 1980. Anyway, it is a very sad day. Broadcasts will not be the same. I can remember listening to Harry and Richie Ashburn ever since I was young. It's hard not to think about Harry when you're thinking about the Phillies. Throughout all the changes with the team, Harry was the constant. Although he may have been starting to slip a little bit recently, he was still the best and it will not be the same without him. RIP, Harry.

    ReplyDelete